Causes of dry mouth and throat (xerostomia)
What are the causes of dry mouth and throat?
Irritation of the mucous membranes and the feeling of dryness in the throat is a signal of our body to properly take care of its hydration. Improper protection of the throat leads to persistent hoarseness and the constant sensation of dryness in the throat accompanied by pain when swallowing.
Factors that have a negative effect on the condition of the oral cavity, pharynx and larynx:
- dryness of mucous membranes of pharmacological origin,
- dryness in the course of diseases,
- dryness due to hormonal imbalance,
- thinning of mucous membranes,
- dryness as a result of intensive work with the voice,
- the aging of the organism,
- breathing through the mouth, snoring,
- being in a polluted environment or rooms that are heated or air conditioned,
- smoking cigarettes, alcohol abuse.